Curried Couscous [printable recipe]
- 3/4 cup couscous, quinoa or similar grain
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp dried mint
- 1/8 tsp hot paprika or cayenne
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- salt, pepper
In a medium skillet, melt butter over moderate heat. Stir in couscous and garlic, tossing to coat and cook for 1 minute to heat through. Add spices and continue to cook until the couscous begins to brown and the spices are fragrant. Pour the chicken broth over the mixture, then remove to a rice cooker and stir in the coconut.
** If you don't have a rice cooker, just cover it at this point and cook until the water is evaporated.
Set the rice cooker to Cook. When the cycle has completed, fluff the couscous with a fork and stir in the peanuts and green onions. Let rest, covered, for 5 minutes before serving.